Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

IS MY COMPLAINT TO MAN?


IS MY COMPLAINT TO MAN?


Job 21:3-4
3 Suffer me that I may speak; and after that I have spoken, mock on.
4 As for me, is my complaint to man? and if it were so, why should not my spirit be troubled?


          Job had three cruddy buddies whose names were Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar. They had heard of his troubles and had come to stare at him. Eventually they found the courage to question his character because the prevailing thought of that day was that good was rewarded and that wickedness was punished. Considering the enormity of Job’s punishment, he must be wicked indeed.

          In the midst of Job’s reply to Zophar, he asks a question that should always be considered when our hearts are troubled. Is our complaint with man or God? Most people will vehemently deny being angry with God but their actions often contradict their claim. They will rebel against good parents, disrespect kindness shown to them, and generally make their own lives miserable. They feel betrayed by God for some pain that God has allowed them to suffer. Their complaint is to God.

          At least Job knew himself well enough to realize that he was angry with a God whose actions he did not understand. He went so far as to request a face-to-face with God so that they could “have it out.” That did not go well! It never does!

          When you find your spirit troubled, ask yourself with whom you are angry. If it is with a man or woman then efforts should be made to reconcile. If you finally admit that you are angry with God because you don’t understand His actions, then your only option is to surrender to a vastly superior force and intellect. When we can’t understand His ways we are obliged to trust His heart.


Dear Lord, too often I find that my heart is not right because I think I deserve better treatment from you. I can’t see what you see and so I misinterpret your purposes. I don’t even see how I am being changed by the forces placed upon me. I rebel and that rebellion is applied to innocent friends and partners. Help me to trust your heart today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment