Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

HE WILL LIGHT MY CANDLE!


HE WILL LIGHT MY CANDLE!


Mic 7:7-8
I will look unto the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.
8 Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord  shall be a light unto me.

Ps 119:105
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Ps 18:28
28 For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord  my God will enlighten my darkness.


          Psalm 18 was written during the difficult days of King Saul’s reign. Like David, we too are enduring the rule of one who is inept at best and corrupt at worst. During times like this we are tempted to think God has abandoned us. We don’t see Him working at all but there are at least three things God was doing.

          God was chastening his people for rejecting his authority and demanding a king “like all the other people.” When we run ahead of God’s plans and timing we invite God’s discipline. “I will be thy king: where is any other that may save thee in all thy cities? and thy judges of whom thou saidst, Give me a king and princes? I gave thee a king in mine anger, and took him away in my wrath (Hosea 13:10-11).

          God was patiently giving Saul plenty of time to repent. Do you pray for those who are in authority over you? What might happen if they did truly repent and turn to God? God is gracious even to those He has determined to judge. We need to give God time to work out the details of His plans.

          Thirdly, God was equipping David for his years as Israel’s shepherd King. It takes time to build a leader after God’s heart. It took thirteen years for Joseph, forty years for Moses, and forty years for Joshua. The lessons David learned about himself and God during those years of exile helped to make him the man that he was. The images in these verses reveal God developing a great warrior, a compassionate leader, and a godly man. Warren W. Wiersbe

          The candle in verse 28 speaks of God’s guidance during dark times. We lift our candle and ask for the fire of God to give us light. In the light of that candle we see dangers to avoid, sins to confess, and purposes that were hidden.

Dear Lord, lighten the candle of all who walk in darkness today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment