Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

GOD IS NOT A MAN!


GOD IS NOT A MAN!


Num 23:19
19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Isa 55:7-9
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord , and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord .
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.


          I am sometimes disappointed with God! Does this surprise you? Are you shocked that a “man of the cloth” could reveal what you keep as a closely guarded secret? Oh, I haven’t lost my faith – I’ve lost my temper! The problem is mine and not God’s.

          In the 11th century, Hildebert of Lavardin said: “God is over all things, under all things, outside all; within but not enclosed; without but not excluded; above but not raised up; below but not depressed; wholly above, presiding; wholly beneath, sustaining; wholly without, embracing; wholly within filling.” Such a God could only be pure Spirit. He is unfathomable. How could I hope to understand His actions and judgments? He pardons those I think should be damned and condemns those I would pardon. We are not alike in thinking.

            People I love continue to suffer while I, because I love them, would hurry to their rescue. Does God not love them as much as I? How can it be that I would love more than God? No, that can’t be. It must be that I do not understand God’s purposes. Why else would Jesus delay his visit to his sick friend Lazarus until he had died? Martha, in her grief, gives voice to our frustration when she laments – and condemns Jesus – by saying: “Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died!” (John 11:21) Soon her weeping would be turned into rejoicing because Lazarus would be raised from the dead but at that moment she could not imagine God’s plan.

          I can never resolve this conflict between what I think and what God is thinking. I may struggle to force my will upon Him but I can never hope to win. Only in surrender can I find any peace. I must resign myself to the truth that God is too wise to make a mistake and too good to act unkindly. He is famous for His mercy and amazing in His pardon. He will not act foolishly just so He can satisfy my impatience. God is God and I am not.

Ps 63:1-7
63 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

Dear Lord, I love you but I do not always understand you. Hurry to rescue those who wait for your help. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment