Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

THE BURDEN OF KNOWING!


THE BURDEN OF KNOWING!


John 10:27
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 10:11-13
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

John 10:14-16
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.


          The word “know” is the Greek word ginosko and simply means “to know,” but there is much more to that word when it is applied to Jesus. Not only does it mean that He recognizes our face and knows our name, but He knows all there is to know about us! He knows our strengths and weaknesses. He is aware of our disposition and how it changes. He knows our moods. He knows our straying tendencies; what makes us happy and sad.

          Building relationships requires knowing and knowing is a burden! It is a burden to know a fault and not tell it or condemn it. It is a burden to know a need and not meet that need. It is a burden to know a pain and not share or remove it. This is the burden of knowing!

          Jesus compared himself to the hireling who has nothing personally invested in the sheep. Any loss is not his loss personally and the result is a lack of caring. The hireling has a “no skin off my nose” attitude about wounded sheep. He runs away from danger and duty because he does not know the sheep.

          More than four decades as a pastor-shepherd have taught me to know my sheep. This devotional goes out to many people I don’t know but it also goes to a smaller number with whom I am closely acquainted. I know the pain they have suffered with their children. I know that they have lost a wife or they are looking for a job. One has lost a father and another has lost a husband. Some are aging and alone. One has recently retired.

          Knowing, really knowing, costs something! It is sacrificial. Jesus said that He was willing to give his life for the sheep. This is possible only because of knowing them. Some have wondered WHY Jesus would leave the 99 in the fold and go out to find the one who was lost. The reason can only be that He KNEW that the 99 would stay put until He returned. This kind of mutual trust is possible only by knowing and knowing takes time and commitment.

          Knowing forms the foundation of all communication. They hear my voice and follow me because they know that I know them. I know, when I greet my sheep, whether I will receive a handshake or a hug. I have come to prefer hugs.


Savior, Like A Shepherd Lead Us

Savior, like a shepherd lead us, much we need Thy tender care;
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us, for our use Thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus! Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.

Dear Shepherd of my soul, thank you for knowing me – and loving me anyway. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment