Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

LAZARUS ALSO!


LAZARUS ALSO!


John 12:9-13
9 Much people of the Jews therefore knew that he was there: and they came not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead.
10 But the chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death;
11 Because that by reason of him many of the Jews went away, and believed on Jesus.
12 On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,
13 Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.


          Jesus had determined to spend the last few days of his life in Bethany at the home of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. Three tiring years of ministry lay behind him and the cross lay before him. He sought the peace that Bethany always provided. True to their personalities, Martha busied herself about domestic chores while Mary worshipped at the feat of Jesus. We have no recorded words or actions of Lazarus! In spite of this, he was a target of the chief priests who wanted to put him to death – again!

                Living did not make Lazarus very popular with the “dead.”  The resurrected life was witness enough to lead many to Jesus. If Lazarus were here with us, and if he would speak, I’m sure he would recommend a resurrected life to us all. Paul caught the significance of this in Galatians 2:20 when he wrote: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

          The chief priests decided to leave Lazarus alone and focus on Jesus. Perhaps that is why they shouted at the foot of the cross: “He saved others; himself he cannot save!” (Mark 15:31) As the conspiracy boiled in the Temple, Jerusalem prepared to crown their king. “They took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord.”

Dear Lord, I feel a kinship with Lazarus. I too was “dead in trespasses and in sins” but you gave me new life. I am no longer very popular with the “dead.” Let my very life be a witness that leads many to Thee. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment