Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

THE MODEL CHRISTIAN!


THE MODEL CHRISTIAN!


I know that many new believers are anxious to find a short cut to spiritual maturity and quickly search for a “model Christian” after which they may pattern their lives. I can think of no better model than the Apostle Paul. In fact he recommends himself as such. He said: “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.”  1 Cor 11:1 But, if I am going to follow this model, I want to investigate him a bit. Let’s see just what things I need to copy and make part of my life.


THIS MODEL CHRISTIAN HAD A SINFUL PAST!

1 Tim 1:12-13
12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

Paul had a history of being shamelessly, outrageously and aggressively insulting to Christ and Christianity. That is what blasphemy is and many people come TO Christ having come FROM such a past. For Paul this was not just an attitude but a campaign of injury to believers and the church. He had arrested them and had some killed! Do not think that your past prohibits you from becoming a MODEL CHRISTIAN.


THIS MODEL CHRISTIAN STRUGGLED WITH SIN!

Rom 7:18-19
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Paul discovered that sin is powerful and hard to defeat. The things which he now hates are the very things that he continues to do! The new principles of Christianity were hard to add to his daily habits. He saw himself as a very weak Christian.

1 Cor 15:9-10
9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
10 But by the grace of God I am what I am:


THIS MODEL CHRISTIAN LEARNED THE SECRET OF COMMITMENT!

Rom 6:11-13
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

The words “reckon”, “let” and “yield” are words that indicate personal decision and determination. He actually suggested that the new believer act as if he were dead whenever tempted.  


THIS MODEL CHRISTIAN ALSO STRUGGLED WITH GOD’S DIRECTION!

Acts 16:6-7
6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,
7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.

On at least this one occasion Paul’s noble plans were vetoed by the Holy Spirit. He wanted to travel to Asia but God made it clear that was not where he should go. We never see God explain Himself further! So, if you want to follow a model Christian, you need to know that you will probably struggle with God’s will for your life.  


THIS MODEL CHRISTIAN BECAME A CLOSE FRIEND OF GOD!

Paul’s desire was declared in Phil 3:10 when he said: “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.”

The Amplified New Testament puts it this way: “that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly.”


Great God, help me to know my sinful past is covered and forgiven as I struggle with lingering sin in my life. Help me to make the sacrifices needed to become faithful. Most of all, Lord, be my close Friend today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment