Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

HEARTY COUNSEL!


HEARTY COUNSEL!


Prov 27:9
9 Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.


          When our own decision-making abilities are damaged by hurt and grief, it is wonderful to have a true friend come alongside to give us hearty counsel. The word “hearty” is the Hebrew word nephesh and literally means “a breathing creature!” Often we long for advice, not from a book or resource but from a friend who genuinely cares about us. He cares not only for the outcome but the process.

          Two things are needed from my counselor. First he or she must genuinely care about me. I need to be assured that the advice given, even if the process is painful, will ultimately be for my good. Next, he or she must be in harmony with God. There is no good advice apart from the mind of God. These two requirements thin the field of possible advisors but it also insures that the advice is useful.

          As Jesus was trying to explain to His disciples that he must “go away,” He knew that his absence would leave a huge empty place where good counsel used to dwell. He went on to explain that He would replace himself with Someone who would not go away.


John 14:16
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 

John 16:7 & 13
7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 13 when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:


          The word “guide” which is used in verse 13 is the Greek hodegeo which means “to show the way.” Oh, how we need some faithful guide to show us the way; someone who truly cares for us and is interested not only in the outcome but also the process. Jesus’ own Holy Spirit has been given to us as that guide. Praise the Lord!


He Leadeth Me

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

Refrain

He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sweet Holy Spirit, thank you for your faithful counsel. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment