Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

MY TEARS IN HIS BOTTLE!


MY TEARS IN HIS BOTTLE!


Ps 56:8
8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?


          The dictionary definition of some common words are sometimes ridiculous in both their simplicity and their insufficiency. Merriam-Webster, when you ask for a definition to the very common word “tears,” returns this: “a drop of the salty liquid that moistens the eye and inner side of the eyelids.” For those who do the weeping, that definition falls woefully short. We know that tears are much more than that.

                Adam Clarke, in his commentary, paraphrases and then goes on to explain further. My spirit connects with his take on this verse. I think you will too.

[Thou tellest my wanderings] Thou seest how often I am obliged to shift the place of my retreat. I am hunted everywhere; but thou numberest all my hiding-places, and seest how often I am in danger of losing my life.

[Put thou my tears into thy bottle] Here is an allusion to a very ancient custom, which we know long obtained among the Greeks and Romans, of putting the tears which were shed for the death of any person into small phials called lacrymatories or urnae lacrymales and offering them on the tomb of the deceased. Some of these were of glass, some of pottery, and some of agate, sardonyx, etc. A small one in my own collection is of hard-baked clay.

[Are they not in thy book?] Thou hast taken an exact account of all the tears I have shed in relation to this business, and thou wilt call my enemies to account for every tear.
(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, All rights reserved.)

          The same God who permits our enemies to chase us from place to place sees to it that there is always a place of refuge and adequate provision in that place. Our wanderings remind us that we are in exile. I think this is an emotion God never wants us to lose. Too many citizens of the Heavenly Kingdom live as citizens of this cursed earth. An occasional rout reminds us that we are pilgrims.

          The same God who permits our tears collects them in His very own bottle. They are precious to Him. How curious it would be to discover, upon our entrance into heaven, a room filled with bottles large and small. These would be the unusual treasures of a compassionate God.

          The same God who permits our enemies to torment us still holds them accountable for those hurts. Each unkind word or act is recorded in His book. In His own time and way He will demand payment. This permits us to rest in His decisions and directions for our life. We do not have to carry the heavy burden of anger and revenge. These belong to Him!

Prov 20:22
22 Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the Lord , and he shall save thee.

Dear Lord, so many of my friends shed tears in the darkness. In your compassion, collect them in your bottle and record them in your book. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment