Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

GOD, I AM CONFUSED!


GOD, I AM CONFUSED!


Job 1:20-22
20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,
21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord  gave, and the Lord  hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord .
22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.


          Much of God’s dealings with us is a mystery. He does not consult with us nor does He ask our advice before acting. Our view and our understand is local while His is universal. Ours is woefully limited while His is wonderfully limitless. God is so frustrating!

          Job had just been told that all his children and all his wealth had been either destroyed or taken away violently. All the pleasant things were gone. The future was uncertain. God had allowed pain and confusion to come into the life of a man that was meticulous in his devotion. What sin had Job overlooked that would cause God to react so unfavorably?

          Job did not “charge God foolishly.” He did not attribute folly to God. He did not accuse God of making any mistake! Oh, how unlike Job I often am. I want to know what is going on and I want to know why. I want answers to my prayers and I want them right now! When I suffer even though I have done right I cry, like a child, “that’s not fair.” If I can’t have things my own way then at least let me understand why! I begin to feel as if God has defrauded me. When I think like this – I am so very wrong.

“True piety will bear the removal of property and friends without murmuring. Religion is not based on such things, and their removal cannot shake it. It is founded deeper in the soul, and mere external changes cannot destroy it.” (from Barnes' Notes.) If we are to agree with God, we must value our character above our comfort; our purity above our possessions. This kind of thinking is not possible if we only view God as the giver of good things. We must see Him as the “good” giver of all things. When we can’t understand God’s actions we must trust His nature.

Jer 29:11
11 For I know the thoughts and plans that I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts and plans for welfare and peace and not for evil, to give you hope in your final outcome.
AMPLIFIED

Dear Sovereign God, my thoughts can’t reach high enough to understand your thoughts. My hands can’t approach the far reach of your own. I can’t even conceive of your plans for my future – but I know that they are good plans. Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment