Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

I’VE ANCHORED MY SOUL!


I’VE ANCHORED MY SOUL!

Heb 6:18-19
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

Ps 107:29-30
29 He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
30 Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.


Henry Gilmour, came to the United States from Ireland as a teenager and perhaps this is why his hymn seems best sung by a male tenor. He practiced dentistry for a number of years and then spent the last 25 years of his life as a gospel musician. He was a gifted soloist and was greatly respected as a choir director.“The Haven of Rest” first appeared in Sunlight Songs, published in 1890.

For some reason this old song invaded my sleep and my soul sang it throughout the night as I woke from time to time. It is a great comfort to know that “He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.”

 
My soul in sad exile was out on life's sea,
So burdened with sin, and distressed,
Till I heard a sweet voice saying, "Make me your choice!"
And I entered the Haven of Rest.

Chorus:
I've anchored my soul in the Haven of Rest,
I'll sail the wide seas no more;
The tempest may sweep o'er the wild, stormy deep,
In Jesus I'm safe ever more.

          Is your frail craft being beaten by the waves of circumstance? Whether you have foolishly set sail in winter against the advice of the seasoned sailor or whether some summer squall has caught you by surprise, know that the Master of the Sea is ready to take the wheel and speak to the wind! Set sail for His fair haven and anchor your weary soul.

Dear Lord, even salted and seasoned sailors may be overtaken by a sudden storm. Let us flee to your haven and anchor our souls. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment