Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

I CAN’T DO THIS!


I CAN’T DO THIS!


          It is yet another Sunday and I have prayed, asking God to give me a golden voice to speak His truth. Immediately, in my heart, came the reply that it is not my voice but His voice that is important! Instantly several scriptures came to mind reminding me that most of God’s spokesmen felt inadequate to speak on His behalf.

Ex 4:10-12
10 And Moses said unto the Lord , O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.
11 And the Lord  said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the Lord ?
12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.

          Moses argues with the voice of the burning bush and explains that he has a slow tongue. The word “slow” here is kabed and can be translated “stupid.” Oh! How often have I given this self-evaluation to my speech? God responded with a reminder and a promise. He created the mouth, the tongue and the vocal chords. He determined whether you sing bass or tenor! He will be present when the mouth speaks and will initiate a “live streaming audio.”

1 Kings 3:9-10
9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?
10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

          We think of Solomon as a mental giant and yet the thought of leadership made him shrink away and plead to God for help. After over forty years in pastoral ministry I still am often driven to my knees asking “who is able?” It is the cry of the hammer as it surveys the building plans! Then the master carpenter takes the hammer in his tanned and strong hand and the hammer responds forcefully and accurately. Thus the building is not built by the hammer but by the hand.

          There have been days, however, when I was certain that I had reached the level of “expert” in oratory. Ah! The words flowed like honey and the illustrations pressed home the point. Yet it seemed as if there was no power or product to my words. It was then I realized that no speech is effective without willing ears. Listen to what God says to the prophet Ezekiel.

Ezek 33:31-32
31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.
32 And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

          As a kid I have often heard my old preacher pray this prayer just before he spoke: “Lord, hide me behind the cross that I may not be seen but Christ within.” It was the spirit of John the Baptist who said: “He must increase but I must decrease.” It is then that I cry out with those men of old, “I can’t do this!” It is then that the answer comes saying, “I know son, but I can!”

Dear Lord, take command of my mind, my heart and my voice. Hide me behind your cross that I may not be seen but Christ within. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment