Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

WISH OR HOPE?


WISH OR HOPE?

3 John 2
2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Heb 6:17-19
17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;


          Merriam-Webster defines “wish” as “to have a desire; long for.” The word “hope” is: “to desire with expectation of fulfillment.” In the English Bible the word wish is found only six times while the word hope is found 129 times. Hope is all over the Bible!

          We may wish, or have a strong desire, for many things but have no real expectation that those wishes will come true. We may wish for a million dollars with absolutely no expectation of ever receiving that amount. Wishing is just dreaming.

          Hope, however, has an expectation. Hope has a foundation. Hope looks forward to that day when the dream becomes a reality. Our hope, according to the writer of Hebrews, is anchored in the veil of the Temple. This veil was torn in two from the top to the bottom when Jesus died to pay for our sins. My sin-debt was cancelled and I now have genuine hope.

          My hope is not just based upon an historical event. My hope is built on my relationship with Christ. He said to come unto Him and I came. He said to repent and I did so. He said to trust and I trusted. He said to believe and I do believe. He said He would wash away all my sin initially and then give me daily cleansing. As the song says…

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus name.

          Is your hope well founded or are you just wishing?

Dear Lord, thank you for a lively hope. Thank you that my hope is a true hope and not just a wish. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment