Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

UNDERTAKE FOR ME!

UNDERTAKE FOR ME!

Isa 38:14
14 Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did mourn as a dove: mine eyes fail with looking upward: O LORD, I am oppressed; undertake for me.

The word “undertake” is found ONLY ONCE in all the Bible but it has a wonderful meaning.

It means to braid, i.e. intermix; technically, to traffic (as if by barter); also or give to be security (as a kind of exchange). It is used in the KJV as engage, (inter-) meddle (with), mingle (self), mortgage, occupy, give pledges, be (-come, put in) surety, undertake.
n  New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance


If we take a look at the first two verses of Isaiah 38 we can easily see why the writer felt this way.

Isa 38:1-2
38:1 In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live.
2 Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed unto the LORD,


One of the meanings of “undertake” is “to braid.” Think of a thin strand which, by itself, could not support much weight without breaking but, if braided with other strands, it becomes a rope capable of lifting huge amounts. The strand may boast of its lifting power but it is ignoring that its real strength is from others. When our strength is insufficient to lift the heavy burden, God blends or braids Himself with our feeble strand and we are able to lift and to bear things too heavy for us.

Another meaning of the word is “to become a surety” for someone else. We might understand it better by using the modern language and say that someone with good credit becomes a co-signer of a promissory note. The bank loans money not on the credit of the borrower but on the credit of the guarantor. God did that for us. He stepped in and became the guarantor for a debt we could never pay.


In his song of praise in the latter part of Isaiah 38 Hezekiah says this.

Isa 38:17
17 Behold, for peace I had great bitterness: but thou hast in love to my soul delivered it from the pit of corruption: for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

Dear Lord, though the load become heavy and I groan beneath it, I shall never snap because you are braided to me. Neither will I ever be without necessary things for you are my guarantor, my co-signer. My hope shall never be repossessed. Thank you Lord! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment