Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FOOTPRINTS ON THE WATER!

FOOTPRINTS ON THE WATER!


Matt 14:24-29
24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Ex 15:8
8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.


          A few days ago I wrote about Peter’s experience of walking on the water. As I looked again at this portion of scripture I see that there was a “contrary” wind. The word contrary is from a Greek word meaning “antagonistic.” The waves moved in active opposition and hostility.

          I have often wondered what it must have felt like to walk on water. Did the liquid yield under his weight? Did Peter bob up and down like the boat? I would think that kind of instability, like walking during an earthquake, would have made walking very difficult even if the threat of sinking were removed. Only Jesus and Peter know what it felt like.

          I wondered if either Jesus or Peter left footprints on the water and discovered that there is a song with this very title! Once again I can’t be credited with an original thought. My guess is that the water did not allow footprints. This was a step-by-step walk of faith. Each step of the believer must rely solely on the firmness of Christ’s promises. Footprints, if there are any, are only a testimony from yesterday. Today presents a fresh challenge to believe and at any moment we may choose either faith or fear.

          Choose faith today! Stand firm upon the improbable guarantees of God.

Dear Lord, let me stand today upon your faithfulness. Let me not be afraid. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment