Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

SHOW US THE FATHER!


Sunday, January 27, 2019

SHOW US THE FATHER!

John 14:8-9
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

           John 14 is where we find “Let not your heart be troubled”! Three things caused the apostles to be sad. Jesus had told them he was “going away” (13:33), that one of them would betray Him, and that Peter would fail under pressure (13:36-38). How could this new movement continue without their leader? What would become of them if such a small group had traitors among them. Were any of them any stronger than boisterous Peter?

           Philip asks for some visible manifestation not unlike the one Moses asked for in Exodus 33:18 when he said “shew me thy glory.” At extremely stressful times we long to be assured of the presence of God.

           Our culture gropes in the darkness at things they think are real while tripping over the truth. Virtual reality has replaced actual reality in many. As for me, I like the quiet and the simple. I like the breeze instead of the gale. Give me the meadow and not the desert. Stop the noise so that I can hear the still small voice of God.

           Jesus made it personal, calling Philip by name and asking him to take another closer look. Sometimes our proof is right before our eyes. There are evidences of God all around us.

Ps 19:1
19 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

No comments:

Post a Comment