Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2019

NOT WORTHY?


Thursday, January 31, 2019

NOT WORTHY?

Luke 7:2-6
2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.  3 And when he [the centurion] heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.  4 And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this:
5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.
6 Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof: 7 Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.

           How would you conduct yourself in an interview with Jesus? Access by prayer has been so abundantly granted that the relationship has become rather casual. A cup of coffee with Jesus might describe the ease with which we approach Him. All the while seraphim flutter about crying Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty.

           John Baptist, of whom Jesus said there was no greater man born (John 11:11), thought himself to be unworthy to loose the strap of Jesus’ sandal. John knew his place and his purpose when he said “He must increase but I must decrease” (John 3:30).

           Oh, how I enjoy the comforting nearness of Jesus but I must never forget that He is God and I am made worthy only by His shed blood. Such privilege cost me nothing but it is a gift of great price.

Dear Lord, I can come to you at any time with any burden and I’m sure that you will be there. I am sure that you will receive me, will hear my petitions, and answer them most beneficially for me. I say with the Psalmist that “I am a worm” and you reply as you did to Jacob that you will help me anyway. Oh, righteous and most Holy, thank you for noticing and loving this piece of rubbish and lifting me to a place of honor by thy great sacrifice. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment