Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2019

NO REST!


Saturday, January 26, 2019

NO REST!

2 Cor 2:12-13
12 Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ's gospel, and a door was opened unto me of the Lord,
13 I had no rest in my spirit, because I found not Titus my brother: but taking my leave of them, I went from thence into Macedonia.

2 Cor 7:5
5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.

           Twice in Second Corinthians, Paul confesses to having “no rest.” He had lost track of his friend Titus. In the midst of great opportunity, he was agitated because of concern for the whereabouts and safety of his friend.  Five chapters later, Paul once again mentions the internal stirring caused by external circumstances and internal fears.

           The Greek word for “rest” is anesis and it means “relaxation, relief, and liberty.” This is why we pace the floor and wring our hands. We can’t relax until the circumstances change and our concerns are resolved.

           Our culture is the most stressed ever! Social media most certainly has not helped but contributed to our angst. There is no rest! Paul finally found peace before he wrote to the Philippians.

Phil 4:6-7
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth [surpasses and supercedes] all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Dear Lord, circumstances challenge my resolve and steal my peace and joy. Concern for my friends burden my heart. Yet in your presence there is both rest and peace. Please be the Boss of my circumstances today. Be the companion of my beloved friends. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment