Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2019

PASS IT ON!


Thursday, January 17, 2019

PASS IT ON!

2 Cor 1:3-4
3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

           Paul makes it clear that God comforts us so that we may be experienced in pain so that we can comfort others. The scrapes and bruises of childhood are nothing compared to the pain we have as adults. Grown up pain can’t be quickly healed with ointment and a band-aid.

           When I was a young minister I would be called to a bedside where someone was suffering. In my ignorance, I would attempt my most sympathetic tone and say “I understand.” Well, I did not understand! I was too young and inexperienced. I had not suffered in that same way. I literally did not know how to comfort from a depth of my own pain.

           Now that I am an older minister I have changed my language a bit. I have similar scars as those to whom I minister. I do actually understand and the pain is sometimes very fresh. Still, I have stopped saying “I understand” and have replaced that with “I can’t possibly understand what you are going through – but I care.”

           I have received enough comfort to know that comfort is available. I have experienced the faithfulness of God and know that God is faithful. The things which God has allowed to bruise me ultimately demonstrated His love. The circumstances which I thought were impossible He has corrected and healed. I am now a much more credible witness to God’s comfort.

           Find someone today who is hurting. Go and hurt with them.

Rom 15:5-6
5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Dear Lord, use me today as a wounded healer. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment