Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

HOW TIME FLIES!


Tuesday, January 22, 2019

HOW TIME FLIES!

Eph 5:15-17
15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

           Paul told the Ephesians that time should be redeemed whenever possible. The word redeem is the Greek exagorazo and means “to rescue from loss.”

           I’ve slept later than usual which is both a blessing and a curse. It is a blessing because I obviously needed the rest and a curse because I feel that I have lost something very valuable. Burning the candle at both ends makes for a very uncomfortable middle but it seems we all have a problem with time.

           Someone has installed a V-8 engine on my clock and a jet on my calendar! Even with spiked track shoes, I can’t seem to catch up. How does one manage time? Paul gives us some suggestions.

           First, we are to “walk circumspectly.” The Greek word is akribos and literally means “exactly.” This calls for precise, intentional, and un-wasted movements. It does not suggest there be no leisure but that the leisure be full of purpose. The broader sense is that our work be energetic and full of purpose.

           Next, we are to recognize the “times.” The days are evil or calamitous, hurtful, and degenerate. The days in which we live will not help us accomplish our purposes. We will be constantly pushing against the culture because it will be pushing us.

           Finally, a clear understanding of the will of the Lord is essential. The Christian is cautioned to avoid wasting time on things that do not fit God’s will.

The last verse of Rudyard Kipling’s poem IF goes like this:

    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Dear Lord, let me be cautiously aware of my time, my times, and my doings. Let me spend my time and energy wisely today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment