Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

A BALANCED OPINION OF SELF

 

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

 

A BALANCED OPINION OF SELF

 

Rom 12:3

¶ 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

 

Ps 139:13

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

 

 

          I need not speak to the proud for their ears are mostly closed to counsel. The original language of Romans 12:3 suggests that a feeling of superiority and pride is a form of insanity because the word soophronein, which is translated soberly means a sane and stable mind. Huperphronein then means unsound or insane thought. This is the understanding of Adam Clarke who commented: “Soophronein from soos, sound (sane), and phreen, the mind, signifies to be of a sound mind; to think discreetly, modestly, humbly. Let no man think himself more or greater than God has made him; and let him know that whatever he is or has of good or excellence, he has it from God; and that the glory belongs to the giver, and not to him who has received the gift.”

(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright © 1996, 2003, 2005, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

 

                    My thoughts today are of those who are feeling a bit down rather than proud. Self-deprecation, putting oneself down, is suggesting that God made a mistake when he formed you and that His dealings with you are unwise and unfair. Here is where the Psalmist helps us find balance. The word “fearfully” means dreadful with reverence. God’s formation of me is full of wonder. He is a craftsman without equal.

 

AWESOME SPIRIT BEING CONFESSION

 

Because of Christ’s redemption,

I am an awesome spirit being

of magnificent worth as a person.

I am deeply loved,

I am completely forgiven,

I am fully pleasing to God,

totally accepted by God in Christ.

I am absolutely complete in Christ.

When my performance reflects my

new identity in Christ,

that reflection is dynamically unique.

There has never been another person

like myself in the history of mankind,

nor will there ever be.

God has made me an original,

one of a kind,

a special person.

 

Dear Lord, let me shun both pride and pouting. Let me walk humbly and confidently. Let my life glorify you. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment