Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

RUN YOUR OWN RACE!

 

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

 

RUN YOUR OWN RACE!

 

Heb 12:1-2

12 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

 

           Adam Clarke says: “Here is another allusion to the Olympic games: the agonistae, [those who were agonizing] or contenders, were often greatly animated by the consideration that the eyes of the principal men of their country were fixed upon them; and by this they were induced to make the most extraordinary exertions.”

 

           The Greek hupomone is translated “patience” and means “cheerful and hopeful endurance.” Living the Christian life has always required more exertion and endurance than expected. Christ’s offer of abundant life is often misunderstood as leisure ease. It is not! It is cheerful and hopeful endurance.

 

           More than a misunderstanding of the nature of the race is the comparison of myself with other runners. It is my race alone and I will never win if I watch others who run. My focus must be on Christ for He is the author and finisher. He fires the starting gun and also watches the tape. I must keep my eyes on Him.

 

1 Cor 9:24

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but [only] one receives the prize? So run [your race] that you may lay hold [of the prize] and make it yours.

AMP

 

Lord, let me not be distracted by other runners but let me sprint the last mile with my eyes firmly on you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment