Pages

Friday, August 28, 2020

DOES GOD HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR?

 

Friday, August 28, 2020

 

Gen 17:16-17

16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed.

 

Gen 18:12

12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

 

DOES GOD HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR?

 

           We find the word “laughed” in the Authorized Version thirteen times. When God looked down to find a progenitor for the Jews, he did not search out a young and virile couple. He found a couple of old childless prunes. Both of them laughed when they were told of God’s plan. That laughter contained both derision and delight. Derision because of the utter impossibility of it and delight at the prospect of it.

 

           I think Jesus laughed a lot and probably used sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek comments. When he confronted Nathanael, he hailed him as one in which there was no guile. I think that was a bit of a joke. When Nathanael asked how Jesus “knew” him, Jesus answered that He saw him under the fig tree. This was hilarious humor in that day. You can read it in John 1:47 and 48.

 

           Jesus was a kid magnet. Children loved him! When His disciples tried to drive them away, He said “allow them to come to me.” Then Jesus informed them that heaven was not simply hallowed halls filled with Gregorian chants but a playroom full of laughing children. You can read it in Matthew 19:14.

 

           Does God have a sense of humor? Have you ever been to the zoo? Have you ever looked in the mirror?

 

Ps 16:2-3

2 O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;

3 But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.

 

Dear Lord, bring laughter into this day. Let me not forget to laugh at myself. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment