Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

CATCHING UP


CATCHING UP!



1 Kings 19:5-6

5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.

6 And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.



           Elijah had been engaged in spiritual combat with the prophets of Baal and had won. It drained him! So, when Jezebel threatened his life, he ran and sat down under a Juniper tree and asked God to take his life. He was exhausted, discouraged and had nothing of himself in reserve. He fell into an exhausted sleep.



           An angel woke him up and told him to eat. He spied bread and water which the angel had brought. After he had eaten he laid down again – out like a light! Then the angel woke him the second time and told him to eat again because he would begin a long and hard journey. Elijah was a good man but he was spent. He needed to catch up!



           Yesterday was a “catch up” day for me. No, I wasn’t discouraged but I was tired and the rainy weather made it easier to spend the day doing nothing. I woke up this morning a bit later than usual and realized that I had hardly moved in the night. I had slept like a rock! The pouring rain I hear on the roof bids me to spend a second day doing nothing but I can’t do that. I am refreshed and will pursue today’s duties with vigor. I’m glad I was able to catch up.



           God is kind to His servants who need to “catch up.” He knows that we are only dust (Psalm 103:14). Maybe today you find yourself spent and in need of refreshment. Resort to God! Lay your burdens at His feet and let Him minister to you because the journey is a hard one. The end of that journey for believers is our heavenly home so we press on.



Heb 4:9-10

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.



Dear Lord, thank you for the rest of yesterday and the exciting prospects of today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment