Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I HURT WITH THEM!


I HURT WITH THEM!


Jer 8:21-22
21 For the hurt of the daughter of my people am I hurt; I am black; astonishment hath taken hold on me.
22 Is there no balm in Gilead; is there no physician there? why then is not the health of the daughter of my people recovered?


          Jeremiah was a faithful prophet and shepherd of his people. Although their hurt was caused by rebellion and neglect of their God, yet Jeremiah shared their pain. He said: “I am covered with so much sack cloth and ashes that I am black!” He was astonished at the severity. There seemed to be no end.

          I hurt when my people hurt. It’s not a choice which I have made so I can’t claim any saintliness because of it. It is automatic. This burden was gently lowered upon my shoulders by God. It is always there but sometimes it is heavier than at other times. The work of the shepherd in Psalm 23 is always a reminder to me that I am to lead by still waters and green pasture. I am to protect from predators and sooth wounds and injuries. I am to provide an atmosphere of peace.

          Jesus is the true healing balm. Turning to Him in repentance mitigates the pain of punishment. Running to Him in times of trouble guarantees His attention as protector and provider. Nestling close to Him is a soothing comfort and consolation when the cure is not soon in coming. The salve of the Savior is what we need today.

Dear Lord, apply the ointment of your own Holy Spirit upon the hurts of my people today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment