Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

THE TERRIFYING PROSPECT OF BEING FREE!


THE TERRIFYING PROSPECT OF BEING FREE!


John 5:2-8
2 Now there is at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool, which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches.
3 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water.
4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
5 And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years.
6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole?
7 The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me.
8 Jesus saith unto him, Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.


          This thought interrupted my sleep! How would my life change if some things I thought were unchangeable truly did change? Perhaps the crippled man never pondered his own fear but Jesus saw it clearly.

          Thirty-eight years! Did you miss that at your first reading? The man had lain on one of the five porches for almost four decades. That the man had been “a long time in that case” was a huge understatement.

          Waiting to win the lottery! There is no small controversy as to whether an angel actually “stirred the waters” as it says in verse 4 but, if you omit the last part of verse 3 and all of verse 4, then verse 7 makes no sense. “When you visit St. Anne's Church in Jerusalem, they will show you the deep excavation that has revealed the ancient Pool of Bethesda. The Hebrew name Bethesda has been spelled various ways and given differing meanings. Some say it means "house of mercy" or "house of grace," but others say it means "place of the two outpourings." There is historical and archeological evidence that two adjacent pools of water served this area in ancient times.” Warren W. Wiersbe

          Making excuses! The man was trapped. He had no helper to toss him into the water and he was not agile enough to help himself. One might wonder why he stayed there! Well, why do we stay in our hopeless condition? The surest way to remain a cripple is to accept your condition as hopeless.

          Then came Jesus! Before Jesus could address the man’s paralysis He had to address his fear. Jesus’ question must have stung him because he responds with whining and excuses. The truth is that the man would have to abandon who he WAS so that he could become who he WOULD be.

          Everything changed! Once the man decided that healing is what he truly wanted, everything changed. He lost his place on the porch. He no longer was referred to as “that crippled man.” He traded pity for productivity. He took up his bed and walked away.

          Jesus is passing by! Watch for Him! Listen for his stinging question and give an honest answer. “Wilt thou be made whole?”

Dear Lord, today I’m confronted with the comfort of my crippled condition. Your question burns into my soul. Tears fill my eyes as I realize that I have given up hope on certain things. I must evaluate what life would be like without my bed and my affliction. Let me rise with courage, take up my bed with strength, and walk with dignity. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment