Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

SIN STANDS POINTING!


SIN STANDS POINTING!


Ps 51:1-3
51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.


          In the performance of his duties as king, David often stood in judgment. He heard accusations and considered the reasons and excuses of the defense. When all was said and done he had to rule on the matter lawfully and righteously. All the while his own sin stood pointing.

          Many religious activities can be done by those with sin in their life. One may teach a Bible study or sing in the church choir yet all the while their conscience stabs them with guilt. David said that his sin was always before him. No matter which way he turned, sin stood pointing.

          Dirt and grime on the body begs for a washing and sin in the heart does the same. It is persistent in its demands for attention. David was always conscious of what he had done. It robbed him of his rest and ruined his joy. His sin rendered all his righteous efforts worthless. Sin stood pointing.

          There is nothing to be done with sin but to give it the attention it demands. Confession is required and so David acknowledges his sin before God. Cleansing is essential and so David begs for a washing. There is an allusion to the application of the blood of sacrifice.

          David goes on to request restoration. The relationship which he enjoyed with God had been damaged. He missed it and wanted it back. The joy of his salvation had been turned to sorrow. He asked for God’s remedy. Others had suffered because of what he had done. He asked God to withhold his wrath and restore peace. In the face of mercy, sin withdraws his bony finger and retreats. His task of accusation is done. If your sin stands pointing today, give it the attention it demands. Call upon God for forgiveness and restoration.


1 John 3:20-21
20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.


Dear Lord, none can know the sin inside but me and you alone. Wash me and make me clean. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment