Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

SUBSTANCE – EVIDENCE – PROOF!


SUBSTANCE – EVIDENCE – PROOF!


Heb 11:1
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.


          The Greek word for substance is hupostasis and it literally means “a setting under; a support.” The word used for evidence is elegchos which means proof.

          In the courtroom of the mind and the heart we prefer physical evidence to hearsay or expert testimony. Physical evidence, we think, does not lie. Jesus, however, invites us to make a judgment based upon a claim without much physical evidence. The scientific and rational mind asks many questions. The judge of reason will never be satisfied or comfortable in the courtroom of faith.

          We seem to have no physical evidence for the creation while evolutionists can manufacture a dinosaur from a toenail. We seem to have little physical evidence for the world wide flood due to geology and world politics yet nearly every culture in the world has some variation of the flood story. We have no evidence that Jesus was miraculously born of a virgin. Post resurrection appearances of Jesus are generally discounted. Yet Christians persist in their belief.

          We have no firm support to believe that God is bringing our problems to a satisfactory conclusion. Our God keeps Himself invisible and non-verbal and yet we are able to discern signs that He is arranging circumstances to fit a pattern of blessing.

          At some point, even in the midst of a storm, we believe that the sun will shine again. While the thunder rolls above us and the wind pulls violently upon our sails, we believe that we shall enjoy smooth sailing soon. What evidence do we have? None except the calm witness of the invisible Spirit of God. We are convinced even in the absence of evidence and substance.

          Thomas refused to believe that Jesus had risen unless he had some firm physical evidence. We do not condemn Thomas because we are often in the same doubting mode but Jesus mildly rebuked him for his lack of faith.


John 20:25-29
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Dear Jesus, I can not hear you but I know you speak to me. I can not see you but I know you are there. While trouble swirls around me I know that I shall soon enjoy peace. I can’t prove it – but I know it. I just know! Thank you for the confidence found in faith. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment