Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

MY ROCK!


MY ROCK!

2 Sam 22:1-4
22:1 And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul:
2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.


          The early political life of David reads like the story of Robin Hood. The evil King Saul chased David’s little band of warriors all over southern Israel. David hid out in caves near the salty sea. At one time Saul entered the very cave in which David was hiding to relieve himself! What drama! Now the chase would be over if David could kill his nemesis. But David restrains himself because of principle.

1 Sam 24:4-6
4 And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily.
5 And it came to pass afterward, that David's heart smote him, because he had cut off Saul's skirt.
6 And he said unto his men, The LORD forbid that I should do this thing unto my master, the LORD's anointed, to stretch forth mine hand against him, seeing he is the anointed of the LORD.


          David’s restraint was not because he honored Saul but because he honored the Lord. Saul had been anointed King. The oil with which Saul was anointed represented the Spirit of God resting upon the leader and assigning him God’s very own authority. Saul’s wicked character dishonored this anointing but David acknowledged it as still in force.

          David’s rock [fortress] was his God. He personalized this feeling of safety by calling it “my rock.” This rock is moveable. It goes with me and surrounds me wherever I may be. It is high, lofty and unassailable. We often sing an old gospel song that goes this way: “When all around my soul gives way, He then is all my hope and stay. On Christ the Solid Rock I stand – all other ground is sinking sand – all other ground is sinking sand.”

Dear Lord, someone reading this will need you to be their Rock today. Perhaps it will be me. Thank you for being our fortress and refuge. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment