Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

THAT TINY WORD “IF”!


THAT TINY WORD “IF”!
(This is a “Classic” previously presented)


Acts 26:27-32
27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.
30 And when he had thus spoken, the king rose up, and the governor, and Bernice, and they that sat with them:
31 And when they were gone aside, they talked between themselves, saying, This man doeth nothing worthy of death or of bonds.
32 Then said Agrippa unto Festus, This man might have been set at liberty, if he had not appealed unto Caesar.


          IF is a conjunction linking cause to result and is closely associated with the word “since.” It is the thinnest of threads and in this case connects one destiny from another. Sometimes the conclusion is clearly seen and the “if” serves as a cautionary device to prevent a foolish action. If I drive recklessly I am more likely to have an accident! If I had worn my seatbelt I might not have been hurt.

          Sometimes the word “if” becomes an allurement to action. If I invest wisely I may later become wealthy. If I love and respect my wife then I will enjoy a happy home. These and other things all hang on that thin thread we call “if.” 

          Here Paul had been arrested and brought before Agrippa for a preliminary hearing. Paul used the opportunity to witness of his faith in Christ as Messiah and Savior. Perhaps Agrippa was serious when he said that he was nearly persuaded to believe or perhaps he was being sarcastic. It is hard to tell. Nevertheless after deliberations it was determined that Paul might have been set free IF he had not appealed to Caesar. That little word “if” started Paul on a voyage that would establish a church in Rome and ultimately cost him his life in a Roman prison. It all hung on a tiny thread called “if.”

          The day is fresh before you and many choices still lay ahead. Carefully consider your options and choose wisely and prayerfully.

Dear Lord, guide my choices today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment