Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

YEAR END THOUGHTS


YEAR END THOUGHTS!



Hab 3:17-19

17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.



           2015 will end tonight at midnight. Some will celebrate its passing with wild partying while others, like myself, prefer to let it pass without fanfare. I hope to be snuggled safely in my bed while the old clock chimes twelve.



           Personally, there seems to be too much death at the end of this year. In just a few hours there will be a funeral at our church for a wonderful member who is a police officer. It will be a huge affair and promises to fill our church to overflowing. At the same time another church member is burying his mother and I mourn the fact that I can’t be at two places at the same time. On Saturday a beloved pastor friend will be laid to rest. It is emotionally exhausting.



           Nationally, we still have to endure one more year of a presidency that has no legacy to leave but misery. While taking every opportunity to push gun control or confiscation, this president has influenced an enormous rush to buy and own guns because people do not feel safe. Oh, if he could only finish his term playing golf instead of governing! In November we will have a chance to replace this lunacy with another kind of crazy.



           Internationally, a religion that claims to be a religion of peace continues its campaign of beheading its enemies in the name of its peaceful god. Nations meet together to discuss how quickly ice should melt while wealth and intellect melts at an incredible rate all around them. Poverty and ignorance continue unabated while they drink their wine and eat their canapés. A good time was had by all.



           Spiritually, mankind seems to be just as ignorant as ever but more hungry for the truth. Now is the time for boldness in telling the story of the good news of salvation through Jesus.



2 Chron 7:14

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.



Dear God, as this year limps across the stage, give us grace to face the new year with courage and fierce determination. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment