Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

HE SHALL SUSTAIN THEE!

HE SHALL SUSTAIN THEE!

Ps 55:22
22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

           The word “burden” in this verse is the Hebrew word yehab (ye-hawb) and it means: “properly, what is given (by Providence); your lot. I am reminded that, since it is providentially given, this burden is very personal. It is my burden and not yours. It may be similar to yours in many respects but it is mine alone. No man may carry my burden for he is carrying his own. He may offer a moment of relief but only the Lord can sustain.

           The word “sustain” is the Hebrew kuwl (kool) which means to measure and then to hold or to contain. The idea is that, whatever the burden, He shall make you sufficient for it. We hold out our bowl and our measure is poured out into it and contained.

           We often cry out to God in complaint because of our very own and providentially given lot. We want to drop our load and carry someone else’s burden which appears lighter. Our burden is tailor made for us; measured to perfectly fit our training and our experience but we want to trade our shovel for another man’s rake. Instead we should look to the One who can carry both our burden and us.

2 Cor 12:9-10
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Dear Lord, you have given me a full load and then you pick me up and carry both me and it. Thank you for your sustaining grace. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment