Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION!

GOD IS NOT THE AUTHOR OF CONFUSION!

1 Cor 14:33
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

           When we place this little verse in its context, verse 26 through verse 36, we see that Paul is giving instruction about spontaneous utterances, especially in a foreign language, within the church. The Corinthians were exercising this temporary gift without rules and the result was confusion.

           The word “confusion” is the Greek word akatastasia and means “instability or disorder.” It is easy to picture if we imagine a technical difficulty at a meeting of the United Nations when all the translating equipment had failed. Every man would be speaking in his own language and nobody understanding anything.

           Today, however, I’d like to suggest that there are times in our Christian life when all the messages we receive from Heaven are marred by static. It is not what God has designed and we can imagine the enemy jamming the signals. Sometimes we fail to receive Divine direction because of interference. It is hard to hear the whisper of the Spirit over the shouts and clamor of a world in which each wants his own way! Gideon took great advantage of this trait of human nature and held the lamps while the enemy destroyed themselves through confusion. (See Judges 7: 18-22)

           There is also a confusion of spirit in which all our efforts seem to be frustrated. Our spiritual compass spins out of control and we can’t find true north. We are lost in a familiar place; stuck in a roundabout and going nowhere. Often when we feel God is very far away He is actually very near. When we feel the most uncertain God may be working unseen and unfelt to bring us out of our confusion. Paul experienced a time when he said he had no rest. We expect more stability from Paul but we learn that he was much like us.

2 Cor 7:5
5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.

Mic 7:7-9
I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.
8 Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me.
9 I will bear the indignation of the LORD, because I have sinned against him, until he plead my cause, and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness.

Dear Lord, roll away the clouds of confusion for me. I wait for your light and your guidance. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment