Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

VAST – ENORMOUS – GIGANTIC!


VAST – ENORMOUS – GIGANTIC!


Neh 9:6
6 Thou, even thou, art Lord  alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

Col 1:14-17
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.


          I love my Texas skies! I suppose the sky is the same, or at least similar, in other parts of the world, but in Texas there are fewer big-city lights to compete with the stars of heaven. The early mornings here are crisp but tolerable as we wait for the mid-seventies temperatures that will warm us this afternoon. If you go out the back door and lift up your eyes you will see billions of stars! The machinery of life is still at rest and the sounds of nature are all that can be heard. A coyote calls to her pups and they respond with a yip.

          It is mornings just like this that remind me how small I am and how vast, enormous and gigantic my God is. His size alone is both a terror and a comfort. If He were my enemy I could not hope to overcome Him. He would grind me to powder. Because He is my friend I need not fear a smaller enemy. He is my Big Brother who stands behind me with His strong arms folded in defiance when I confront my foes. I am sure of victory.

          As a child, I remember George Beverly Shea singing How Big Is God during the Billy Graham Crusades. His voice was almost as big as the song.

Though man may strive to go beyond the reach of space
To crawl beyond the distant shim'ring stars
This world's a room so small within my Master's house
The open sky's but a portion of His yard

How big is God? How big and wide His vast domain
To try and tell, these lips can only start
He's big enough to rule His mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart

Dear Lord, the stars tell me that you are much bigger than any of my problems today. Thank you for loving me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment