Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

NOT SUBJECT TO!


NOT SUBJECT TO!


Rom 8:5-8
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.


          Early in Romans chapter 8, Paul explains the agony he experienced in chapter 7. In that chapter he describes a “self” out of control. The good things he desires to do he fails to do while the bad things he no longer wants to do he continues doing. He describes his condition as “wretched!” The cause of the struggle is a mind that is divided in its loyalties. In chapter 7:25 Paul uses the same Greek word, sarx, which is translated “flesh.” However in chapter 8 sarx is translated “carnally minded.” The problem is the same.

          We can’t point our finger at others with a carnal mind because we all have one. It is the desire to please ourselves instead of God. We all struggle with it. The key to being “spiritually minded” is being subject to the law of God. We stop kicking over the barriers which God erects around our lives! We stop demanding our own way! We grow up and become self-disciplined!

          What if I wanted to play some musical instrument in the church orchestra or band? What if I convince the church to invest hundreds of dollars in that instrument by promising to practice hard and being a faithful and dedicated member of the group? What if, after the money is spent and the instrument is purchased, I lose interest and walk away? This is just one way the carnal mind displays itself.

          What if I belong to a particular Sunday school class which has been formed for my specific age group and demographic? What if I choose to remain in a class that does not fit my situation either in age or life circumstance? I’ve become lawless and mildly rebellious. I want my own way. I refuse to submit myself to the rules. If the class I prefer offends me in some way I simply choose another. I force the entire church to bend itself around my fickle and ever-changing preferences. I am acting like a toddler always ready to throw a tantrum. I make the people around me nervous because they are afraid I am going to explode in some selfish display.

          The word enmity in verse 7 indicates “hostility” towards God. There is anger and frustration present and it is always seething. The carnal mind wants all that God is willing to give but is unwilling to give God His rightful place as King. The carnal mind worships self. That is painful to consider but I see no other explanation. The key to peace, joy and productivity in your relationship with God is submission to His will.


1 Peter 5:5-7
God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.


Dear Lord, I cannot claim to worship you while I resist your authority in my life. I yield my will to yours today and rest within the barriers you have established all around me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment