Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

STIGMA!


STIGMA!


Gal 6:17
17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

          Paul was not claiming that he bore the five marks of the crucifixion of Jesus. Rather he claimed the marks of service that comes to the one who has labored and has been persecuted for their faith. The word marks is the Greek word stigma. He lists some of his wounds in the following portion of Scripture.


2 Cor 11:23-33
in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
30 If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.
31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.
32 In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king kept the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desirous to apprehend me:
33 And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall, and escaped his hands.


          Sensing that he was nearing the end of his life and ministry, he makes a simple request: “let no man trouble me.” The word “trouble” is the Greek kopos which means “to cut.” What Paul meant was: “Please don’t cut me again!” The knife of persecution had cut literally and the knife of service had cut figuratively. Paul had scars or stigma that were visible and invisible. He just wanted to be left alone for awhile.

          The life of service can produce moments when the servant simply wants to be left alone. The one who requests just a moment of time is unaware that the servant has had no time for himself and now labors wearily in almost exhaustion. I remember that Jesus’ last week on earth was spent in a whirlwind of service. He was interrupted again and again. The woman with an issue of blood stealthily stole a healing by touching the hem of His garment. None would have known except that Jesus felt virtue flow from Him. (See Luke 8:46) The word virtue here is the Greek word dunamis and is the same word Jesus used when he promised that the church would receive power or dunamis when the Holy Spirit came in the book of Acts. It is that outflow of virtue that demands a refreshing so that service can continue. Jesus warned his disciples, in Mark 6:31, to come apart and rest awhile.


Dear Lord, refresh me so that I may continue to serve. Fill me with your power so that energy might continue to flow to those in need. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment