Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

ARE YOU COMING OR GOING?


ARE YOU COMING OR GOING?


Prov 17:11
11 An evil man seeketh only rebellion: therefore a cruel messenger shall be sent against him.

Eccl 10:8
8 He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him.

Acts 26:13-15
13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.


          Lately I’ve seen several “come-back kids” at church. These are, usually, younger people who have wandered away from the church due to some perceived inequity. They became disappointed in something done or not done. Perhaps they yielded to temptations and trials. They were gone but now they are back. They, to me, seem more mature and subdued than when they left in their inflamed condition. I suppose that their self-imposed punishment has corrected their temporary rebellion.

          Unfortunately, I have also witnessed others who have dropped out or are on the verge of doing so. Some are seeking more freedom than “church life” will allow them. Others are seeking to escape the confinement of their own church-going family. Still some are fleeing the shame and questions resulting from a failed marriage or other relationship. They are almost gone but some of them will be back later. They will return more mature and subdued but they may have scars. Their own self-imposed punishment will have cured their temporary rebellion.

          Many of us have chafed at the discomfort of authority. We feel more mature than we are being treated by those controlling us. We feel that we can make our own decisions much better than those who restrain us. We want to run away from authority.

          “The Latin root of "authority" and "authentic" means "that which allows growth and life." Our resentment of the authority of God in Christ is, therefore, foolish.”
   -- Diogenes Allen in Quest: The Search for Meaning through Christ.

          Dr. Myron S. Augsburger, in When Reason Fails, relates this story. “It is said that Dr. Mortimer Adler suddenly left a discussion group at a tea quite disgusted, slamming the door after him.  One person trying to relieve the tension, remarked, "Well, he's gone."  To this the hostess replied, "No, he isn't.  That's a closet!" We share the same plight when we attempt to rush from God's presence.


Dear Lord, help me to see that much of the restraint I feel is intended to promote growth and life. Let me yield to you and to resist the devil. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment