Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

WE ARE NOT ALONE!


WE ARE NOT ALONE!

1 Kings 19:10
10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord  God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

Rom 11:2-5
2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not [Don’t you know] what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.


          Elijah had hazarded his life working for the Lord. It seemed to him that he was alone; that others had abandoned the cause of right. His complaint of  “I, even I only” shows his despair. Our national decline makes it appear that the righteous have fled to caves. Truth is hidden by the state-run media. We give gifts to those who hate us. We complain to God.

          We are not alone! God has thousands who have not yet bowed to the pressures of secular culture. Ungodly leadership will not rule forever! “The most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.” (Dan 4:17)

          Perspective is everything! Henry W. Longfellow wrote our familiar Christmas song “I heard the Bells on Christmas Day” but did you know that the song was written during the American Civil War? The following verses are usually omitted from the song but speak of the despair Longfellow felt.

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound the carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn, the households born
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

          We often sing the following verses without knowing the historical background. It is easy, during great struggle, to fail in belief. We set our eyes on defeat forgetting that “God is not dead nor doth he sleep!”

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Dear Lord, when we despair of our condition, let us know that you still rule. Help us to see with the eyes of faith your victory. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment