Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

Ps 81:10-13
10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!

Luke 15:11-13
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

Luke 15:17
17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!


           Peppered throughout the Bible there are stories of man’s stubborn will and God granting them their wishes. The results are predictable and tragic! Feeding on “angel’s food” in the wilderness, the children of Israel loathed the “light bread” that God provided and asked for meat. The greater sin was not in wanting meat but in developing distaste for what God had provided. God gave them quail and they ate of that meat until, while gobbling it up, they snorted it up and out their noses. (Numbers 11:31-35)

           The prodigal requested his “portion” of the inheritance which he quickly wasted. He spent money like there was no tomorrow and quickly discovered that he was wrong. Tomorrow came! All the friends he had around him abandoned him when the money ran out. His decision had disastrous consequences.

           The best lessons are self taught! God knows that sometimes the best way to prove His way is best is to give us our own. Our selfish tantrums are quickly calmed when we get our own way but the consequences may linger for a lifetime. “And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul.” (Ps 106:15)

Dear Lord! Make me wise enough to know that I am not wise. Subdue my selfish and willful heart so that I may enjoy the blessings of walking in your way. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment